Things changed quickly Saturday morning when I got to the hospital and spoke with the other doctor, who was much more forthcoming with information.
With the knowledge that what my mother has is a widow maker, I was able to quickly make decisions about our logistics and get things moving.
I called my friend Kara who is an NP at Emory Cardiology and she got the ball rolling for me to have Mama transferred up there immediately by ambulance.
While paperwork was being pushed through I went to Dublin to pick up some things and bring my stepfather up. It’s truly amazing how much better the two of them function when they’re together.
We met with the cardiologist this morning and there’s a pretty good chance she’ll be able to have an Endo ACAB rather than open heart surgery, which we’d naturally prefer.
I left the hospital and came home, planning not to go back until tomorrow morning, when we’ll talk to the surgeons and decide for sure and schedule it.
Only my mother called this evening to tell me that she hadn’t been able to wake Bill, and when she was able to, his chest hurt and he’d been taken to the ER. So back I went and explained the situation and asked if he had to be admitted if it would be possible to admit him there and not at the VA.
They assured me that they’d admit him there, and after a few hours determined he didn’t need to be admitted anyway.
I have now tucked them in and am back home, and will be going back in the morning for more fun and games.
I am so fortunate to have such good friends who have surrounded me with words of support and practical assistance. I know that I could handle it on my own, but I’m grateful that I don’t have to.