Maybe it’s you.

A year or so ago, I had a friend(ish) who was a correspondent to another blog I keep.

Many of his replies and posts were along the lines of people just don’t get me and people don’t like me and I don’t fit in and everything I say pisses somebody off.

These were followed by but they don’t stick around long enough to get to know me.

I do not (and did not) think he wanted to be alone, mostly because he also said things like nobody will have me.

I finally said “Well, maybe it’s you.”

Which went over like something brown and smelly in the punchbowl.

He argued that it could not be him, because he was just being himself – argumentative, sarcastic, dark.

All I said was, “How’s that working out for you?”

He defriended me.

Which kind of made me sad, because I genuinely liked him, and I think he is a good person. I thought I could help. I always think I can help. I am a fool that way.

But the truth, and you’ve heard it before, is that you get more flies with honey. Nobody likes to be around somebody who’s always negative, who’s always argumentative, who thinks nobody likes them, who’s sarcastic and nasty.

Advertisements

About S.

Reader, writer, talker, knitter, picture taker, tennis player, music lover, Southerner.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Maybe it’s you.

1. S. says:

I was a little concerned about putting this out there. Because we all want to be our funky selves all the time. But nobody likes to be around somebody who smells bad.

2. pigri says:

Agree. I have the same problem with people who like to VOLUNTEER ugly opinions under the banner of “just being honest.” Sometimes you have to be the asshole; that’s totally true, but those people who just go around being nasty and never complimentary are not honest, just impolite.

3. robin says:

Agreed! – Robin

4. Lynn says:

I agree with pigri. You should never say something ugly because you’re “just being honest” unless your HONEST opinion is asked for by that person. Preferably someone you are VERY close to.

5. Tanya says:

Here, here!

6. leigh says:

Preach on, mama!

7. Yup. There are people who will just suck the life out of everyone around them given half a chance.